My son Forrest was born on January 18, 2011. It was then that I realized it was time to become the person I was meant to be, and to live the example I always had in my mind about what a really awesome parent would be like.
I always had some understanding of the way that kids learn best by example, but it wasn’t until I became a dad myself that I saw this so clearly! My son is always watching me and his mom, and we can see how he mirrors and reflects the way we act and the way we talk and treat others. This led me to reflect inwardly on many of my own behaviors and attitudes that needed adjustment. I will never be able to fairly guide or correct my son for the very behaviors that I’m acting out myself! It’s just that simple.
Therefore, what I have been focusing on and working on is:
- Being the best Dad I can possibly be, day to day, moment by moment.
- Changing my own attitudes and behaviors so that I can lead by example.
- Changing the parenting paradigm entirely to one based on mutual love and respect (instead of punishments, spankings, and “tough-love” authoritarian-style discipline)
- Reading and researching about positive parenting, attachment parenting, and other conscious parenting styles.
- Living and loving each day and appreciating every chance I get to be with my wife and son.
In order that my son may live a life of confidence, fulfilment, and emotional well-being, I have committed myself to be that as his example, the best way he will ever learn.
Although I generally try to stay away from labels, I generally promote the following practices: Positive Parenting, Natural Parenting, Attachment Parenting, and Conscious Parenting.
My name is Eric, and I Am 1 Awesome Dad
Recent Google searches:
- one awesome dad